Sunday 31 July 2011

Book, books, books

If i had a library full of books i probably still wouldn't have enough. My Dad instilled in me the passion to read. My Mother encouraged us to go to the library every week, probably so she could have some peace, but none the less by the time i was six i could read enough to follow a knitting pattern. 

I remember the likes of Janet and John and Peter and Jane but i also enjoyed the Hardy Boy Mysteries. I Can't remember the specifics only that i enjoyed them and read the whole of the libraries supply. 

From there my passion has continued. Now i tend to read two books at the same time. Usually one none-fiction and one fiction. I have recently finished 'The Reading Promise' by Alice Ozma. Alice and her father made a promise that he would read to her every night for at least 10 minutes, no matter what. The original goal was 100 nights, then it became 1000 nights and then 3218 nights. It began when she was 9 and finished when she was 18 and went away from home to college. It's beautifully written, funny and it's been a joy to read.

So i thought i would take the 100 day challenge myself. Now i don't have anyone to read to me so for now at least i make the promise to myself - to read every night for at least 10 minutes, no matter what, but i'm not planning on reading out loud my children think i'm odd enough as it is.

I've decided to start with 'The Wizard of Oz' by L Frank Baum. I've seen the film often but never read the book. I've also decided that i can only buy the next book when i've nearly finished the book i'm reading. I love new books and i do tend to have them piled up waiting if i'm not careful. What i didn't know is that there are 12 books in the Oz series and The Wizard of Oz is just the first.

And my other book is 'The story of Charlotte's Web' by Michael Sims. More about that another time.



No comments:

Post a Comment